Song of the Earth
Broadway at 60th Street
Sun, Nov 4 at 5:00
- Emanuel Ax, piano
- Matthias Pintscher, conductor
- Tamara Mumford, mezzo-soprano
- Russell Thomas, tenor
- Musicians of the New York Philharmonic
- BACH: Prelude and Fugue in E-flat minor, from the Well-tempered Clavier, Book I
- SCHOENBERG: Six Little Piano Pieces
- MAHLER: Das Lied von der Erde (chamber version)
Inspired by ancient Chinese poetry that expresses life’s dual magnificence and transience, Gustav Mahler wrote Das Lied von der Erde (“The Song of the Earth”) following a painful period in his life. In this landmark evening, acclaimed and beloved pianist Emanuel Ax performs solo works before uniting with musicians from the New York Philharmonic for the chamber version of Mahler’s sublime, deeply personal masterpiece.
“Mr. Ax played…with subdued beauty and crystalline sound.”
Co-presented with the New York Philharmonic.
Emanuel Ax is the New York Philharmonic's Mary and James G. Wallach Artist-in-Residence.
This performance will be followed by a White Light Lounge.
Please note: Performances begin promptly at their scheduled times.
There is no late seating.
This performance is approximately one hour and 25 minutes long, with no intermission.